Saturday, July 24, 2010

Things Change



Yes, it has been some time since I added content to my blog. Life has gotten in the way; and guess, what I am grateful. My daughter recently, firmly reminded me..."Mom, you have not posted to you blog in 3 years, why don't you take it off your email?" Well I thought about it for more than a few minutes and decided I created it 3 years ago because I had something to say and nothing has changed; except for life.


GROWTH
In the last few years I have added yet other skills and to my professional life's learning journey. My family has evolved into mature adult daughters who are capable of making their own way in life, including opinions that are not always solicited- given and taken. A loving and devoted husband who is more of a best friend than the day we were married. Family dynamics that have changed due to many reasons beyond necessity and the economy. Loss of a dear old friend and family members, new friends, travel and never ending adventures waiting each morning. I have even been on the edge of death and eternally grateful to see each day and hear the birds sing near my bedroom window.

PLANTING THE SEED
It has been a period of learning, disappointment, excitement, life challenges, love and appreciation. I know and better understand the lessons that my parents constantly instilled in myself and my siblings as children and growing adults. Everyone was not as lucky to have parents that provided unconditional love, that went beyond financial support, making sure we had food on the table and a warm, safe home. We had all those, but much more - hardworking honest, and spiritual parents with the morals, ethics and fortitude to appreciate each day and all that came with life.

NURTURING
I look back on growing up as a child and realize the sacrifices my parents made for their family. My father dreamed of being an Architect. Few if any African American men were accepted into Architecture school when he applied. He graduated the Valedictorian of his High School and was limited to schools to which he could apply. Unfortunately his college career was cut short because of lack of funding and family responsibilities. He would be proud to know that his grand-daughter; my youngest daughter, recently revealed to her, has fulfilled his dream.

My mother filled our home with art, her paintings and drawings filled our walls, interior and
exterior. She was probably one of the first mural artist in our community. People would constantly admire her paintings and her flair for design and decorating. Her skills live on through my love for design, textiles, photography, gardening and nature. I am also proud to give credit to her through my other daughter, who continues to amaze me with her artistic skills in sewing and fabrication.

If we could not afford something, between my father and my mother they created it and we could not have been happier. In most case it was better than the "store" version. We could escape to anywhere in the world with an endless supply of magazines and books while sitting in the comfort of our home. We were sheltered from the "preset" limitations of the world as it was.

Our home was the place to be, kids had to be sent home, so that we could eat together as a family at the table. But on many occasions, we had breakfast, lunch or dinner guests. According to my mother, no one at anytime should ever go to bed hungry. That might explain why we would have nonstop meals from morning to night. A tough habit to break when you get older.

My life, my family and my future are all better because of lessons learned and changes.

In closing - things do change... Thank You - MINNIE & EARL. Life is great and Love is Eternal!!!!

know. choose. promise

Mona King
Associate IIDA, LEED Green Associate
http://www.monaassociates.com

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home